August 6, 2016 – The tomato season is exploding this week
It’s August already. The bad news is, summer is flying by. The good news is, all the iconic summer produce is here – corn, melons, tomatoes, squash, and more.
Heirloom tomatoes may look odd to you if you’re used to seeing the classic American beefsteak in your grocery store. But with tomatoes, it’s inner beauty that counts. Some of the funkiest-looking tomatoes are the most delicious.
Speaking of funky – come in and get big discounts on “seconds.” They’re perfect for cooking, canning, or freezing.
>>See our dietitian’s recipe for Penne with Fresh Tomatoes and Tuna
So Many Tomatoes!
- Cherry tomatoes including,
- Black cherry
- Red cherry
- Heirloom varieties including:
- Cherokee purple
- Black Krim
- Berkeley Tie Dye
- Black Cherry
- Brandywine – pink, red, black, and yellow
- Striped German
- Speckled Roman
- St Pierre
- Pruden’s Purple
- Green Zebra
- German Stripe
- Specially priced “seconds” for cooking, canning, or freezing
Other Maryland-fresh Seasonal Produce
- ground cherries
- Peppers (bell, hot, and padron)
- Squach – Summer squash and Zuchinni
- Variety Boxes
- Sweet Corn
- Fresh Cut Flowers
- Herbs (basil, cilantro, parsley, oregano, thyme, dill)