Thanks to a little lime juice and some smokey seasonings, our market fresh chickens, sweet peppers, and red onions all get to “sing” in this easy recipe. Who knew barbecue could taste this good and be this simple!
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 4.5 hrs (marinade) Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 12 sweet peppers, 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, 1-inch pieces
- Wooden Skewers, pre-soaked overnight or in hot water for at least 1 hour
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- In large bowl, combine 1/4 cup barbecue sauce with remainder of marinade ingredients. Place chicken in marinade, let sit in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Build kebabs on skewers, making sure to alternate between peppers, onions, and chicken.
- Place kebabs on grill first, close lid to ensure radiant heat cooks chicken thoroughly, turning periodically and brushing with 1/4 cup of remaining barbecue sauce to get grill marks. Serve with our Basil Watermelon Salad and Tomato and Corn Salsa.
Suggestions: Other vegetables zucchini, eggplant, and apples-all available at the market are great additions to these kebobs.
Sarena C Glenn RD, LDN, MS – Market Dietitian